Thursday, February 17, 2011
Tubes Round 2
Wahoo to tubes! Carter lost one of his tubes last September and the other fell out around December which is normal but unfortunately as soon as they came out the ear infections started back up. So this past Tuesday after 5 EI's in 3 months Carter got a new set of tubes. The procedure itself takes a total of 5 minutes but Carter decided that he was going to fight the entire hour leading up to the surgery. He didn't want to take off his sweatshirt. He didn't want to take off his shoes. He didn't want to put on the little gown. And he let the entire surgery center know that he was not going to do anything I asked him to do. Since he was being so uncooperative the anesthesiologist gave him a shot of "baby Valium" so that he wouldn't fight with them once he left me (I guess it's one thing to kick and scream with your mom but another to do it with two doctors and three nurses). That little shot was awesome. It totally relaxed him and made him so funny. He giggled and rolled around on the bed like a little drunk. They took him back, did the surgery, and then woke him up. Bad idea. I had forewarned the recovery nurses that Carter is much nicer coming out of anesthesia when he wakes up on his own and isn't woken up. They choose not to listen and he woke up enraged. He was hitting, biting, screaming, and totally uncontrollable. A rage reaction isn't uncommon (learned this the hard way last year) so I wasn't surprised but I was annoyed that they didn't listen to my warning. After half an hour of dealing with an out of control 2 year old I finally got him to calm down enough to drink his juice so we could leave. Lets hope these new tubes do their job so we can stay out of the surgery center for awhile.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






2 comments:
Oh my goodness. I remember Connor coming out of conscious sedation with his head CT. I thought he was going to give me a black eye. He was completely furious and out of control. Poor little guys. Hope those tubes stay in for a good long while!
Poor little guy! How is he doing now?
Post a Comment